I’m a big fan of cleansing, particularly second cleansing. Reading about the raved products of Benton, I took a chance and applied when I learned that Benton was looking for testers/reviewers for their new product, Benton Dear My Best Friend Bar. So happy and thankful that I got this opportunity. I was sent one full sized BF bar and a couple of samples of their moisturizer and sun creams.
Inspired by and named after the film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button wherein the lead male character Benjamin grows younger with time, “Benton” aims to restore your skin back to its original condition with healthy recipes. They provide freshly made products by sticking to small batch production.
- Description: DEAR MY BEST FRIEND BAR (aka BF Bar) is a natural soap for both body and face. Benton wished to present a rest to your BF, body and face, and hence named the soap ‘Dear My Best Friend Bar’. It is Benton’s first naturally-derived soap made with a vegetable oil base and various botanical ingredients, which enable moisturizing cleansing.
- Size: 85 g
- Price: US$15.00 at stylekorean.com
- Recommended for:
- Dry and sensitive skin feeling stripped after cleansing
- Oily face or oily body parts
- Blemished skin : face, chest, or back
- Bumpy and rough skin
- Skin tired from body wastes and external stressors
- Skin that wants a healthy, naturally derived soap
- Honey – Cleanses while preventing moisture loss. Also has antibacterial properties that can help soothe the skin and treat blemishes.
- Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Powder – Cacao is rich in antioxidant polyphenols and minerals. Cocoa seed powder helps manage sebum and helps exfoliate dead skin cells.
- Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour – Removes sebum and dead skin cells while keeping skin moisturized and supple.
- Calamine – Known for its soothing properties and suitable even for sensitive skin.
- Chamaecyparis Obtusa Oil – Known to contain phytoncide which has antimicrobial properties, relieves skin stress and help improve the skin. Along with Lavender oil, it leaves skin comfortable and soothed.
Complete List of Ingredients:
HOW TO USE: Lather enough and use to cleanse body and face. It is recommended to use the included foaming net for a richer lather. Benton added a storage tip on one side of the box as can be seen below.
Packaging: It comes in a laminated box with a postcard style print. There’s even a part where you can write your friend’s name and your name. It looks vintage and adorable. I think, adding a cute sticker or ribbon to seal it up would make it the perfect gift box.
Inside the box, you’ll see the soap bar wrapped in a similarly printed plastic. This ensures that the soap bar doesn’t get thrown around and smudge inside the box. It also comes with two-fold foaming net. This is the first time I got a soap bar with a foaming net. What I know is that foaming nets are usually sold or bought separately and mostly used for body washes.
Scent and Texture:
The BF bar is brown in color with specks of Cocoa seed powder. It has a mild herbal scent which reminds me of a spa experience. I really appreciate the detail on the bar itself. It’s like a wood carving.
Prior to use, the soap bar is smooth as can be on the photo above. After some time, I’ve noticed that the specks have become more visible. They’re soft but they don’t melt. I tried rubbing the soap bar directly on my body. I felt the bits against my skin but it didn’t cause any scratches. I didn’t try rubbing that on my face directly though since facial skin is more sensitive.
I took advantage of the foaming net since it was included in the box. Cutting up the bar into smaller pieces didn’t cross my mind so I stashed the whole soap bar inside the foaming net. It fits in just right.
The BF bar lathers up pretty nicely without the foaming net. But you can see the big difference when I used the net.
For my face, with or without the net is fine since I don’t need that much foam to cleanse the whole face. I mostly rinsed with lukewarm water.
For the body, once I got my desired amount of foam, I remove the soap bar and use the foaming net to wash my body. It even served as a mild exfoliator.
I used Dear My Best Friend Bar for morning and night as second cleanser. It effectively cleansed my skin without leaving it feeling tight and dry. Though, my skin felt a little bit rough compared to how it used to be.
First photo is a little darker because of the lighting, but you can still see the slight redness and blemishes on my skin. That time, I had an allergic reaction to another product I was testing. Small itchy bumps grew all over my face, particularly my forehead. The BF bar helped calm and soothe the allergic reaction. After 2 to 3 days, the itchiness and most bumps on my nose and cheeks were gone. After 15 days, my skin has calmed down and most blemishes have disappeared. Although the majority of the small bumps on my forehead are still there. After 19 days of use, my skin has mostly cleared out without any dryness. Still, the small bumps on my forehead didn’t disappear.
I also used this as a body soap. It soothed my minor back acne. Unfortunately, I had no before photo, so I didn’t take a photo after 3 weeks either. This was a pleasant surprise because I wasn’t really monitoring my back.
OVERALL: I’m generally happy with the results of BF bar. I prefer using this as a body bar than a facial cleanser because I have learned that it’s pH is somewhere around 7 to 8, which is a bit high for a facial cleanser. This may be the reason why my skin felt a bit rough. It’s not 100% foolproof but it helped a lot in keeping my skin clean and clear. It’s recommended for the whole family but I wouldn’t recommend this for infants due to the high pH level and other possible irritants. I would repurchase if the bar is a little bigger, or the price a bit lower. 😀
Style Korean product link – http://www.stylekorean.com/shop/benton-dear-my-best-friend-bar/1509006397/
Benton Cosmetics product link – http://bentoncosmetics.com/product/dear-my-best-friend-bar/88/?cate_no=78&display_group=1
Benton Cosmetics Instagram page – https://www.instagram.com/bentoncosmetic/
NOTE: This product was sent to me by Benton for review purposes. All thoughts are my own and not influenced by the brand.
I hope this review has been helpful to you. Let me know if you have any comments, questions or suggestions. I would like to hear them. 🙂
This is the first product from Benton that I’ve tried. Now it got me curious to try their other products too. What would you recommend? 🙂
Till next time! 🙂